Magnolia Manor Plantation Bed and Breakfast
Available for Private Weddings and Special Events

History
 
Plantation wedding and reception

  128 Pet Burwell Road, Warrenton, NC 27589           Phone:   (252) 257-6055             Email: innkeepers@magnoliamanorbnb.com

 
John Watson House John Watson
 

The original house that stood on this location was a two bay federal farm house on a stone foundation.  It is anticipated that it was built about 1815 but documentation is non existent.  The original house consisted of what is now our family room, dining room and the country hall.  The chimneys that contain the fire places in those rooms and the two upstairs suites were external to the house.  John Watson acquired the property in the 1830s with about 2100 acres.  It was John Watson who commissioned Jacob Holt in 1859 to do the Italianate overbuild.  The overbuild included the left and right wings that accommodated the Ladies Parlor and the Gentleman's Parlor, the Grand Hall with the magnificent stair case and some enlargement of the upstairs room.  The overbuild was put on a brick foundation that encompassed the chimneys and gave the house the appearance of a house within a house.  Much of the original stone foundation still exists under the house.  It is the remarkable work of Jacob Holt that allowed the house to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Over the years as the property passed from generation to generation and from owner to owner it was allowed to deteriorate.  The 2100 acres was reduced to about 600.  The Carvers acquired the house and the adjoining 13 acres of land in June of 1997 and moved into the house in June of 2002 after five years of respectful rehabilitation.  During that five year period, the house was completely gutted to repair all the structural damage.  That process allowed the house to be updated to include all the modern conveniences such as new HVAC, plumbing, wiring, security system, satellite TV and whole house stereo.  All of the original wood work has been replaced and/or reconditioned as it was in 1859 including replacing 2000 square feet of antique heart pine flooring with flooring milled from structural beams from an 1880 cotton mill in Roanoke Rapids that is being salvaged.  The 13 acres include several of the old out buildings, an orchard of 21 mature pecan trees and a massive antique white oak trees.  The Carvers are slowly accumulating and displaying furnishings and artifacts from John Watson.

The Carvers opened Magnolia Manor Plantation Bed and Breakfast in February of 2003.  The house was named by the Carvers for the magnificent magnolia tree in the front yard.  The guests experience true southern hospitality at Magnolia Manor Plantation Bed and Breakfast in the simple elegance and serenity of an authentic plantation manor house.  Magnolia Manor Plantation Bed and Breakfast has quickly grown to become one of the more significant destination wedding venues in the Piedmont North Carolina area.  At the insistence of our children who were instrumental in the rehabilitation, we have included a few of the before photos for your enjoyment.

 
Click HERE to view a history of Jacob Holt
 
         1990 View from the road 2003                         
   
1997           Ladies Parlor Suite 2009
   
1997           Master Bedroom Suite 2009
   
1997 Carriage House Suite 2009
   
1999 Grand Hall 2009
   
 

Home